Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Jacobsen Turbo Tortoises.... Wasatch Back Relay.... 180 Miles.... One Runner at a Time.

The Wasatch Back Relay held June 20-21 was an experience I won't forget for a very long time.

After finding our way to Logan our team started at 10:00 a.m. Alycia started us out and did awesome. She gave us a great start with Josh following her. I was leg number three at about noon. It was extremely hot and my 5.6 miles led me to mild heat stroke. I was sick all day after that run taking it easy and drinking plenty of water and gatorade. Following me was Tony then a grueling hill done by Cory and Andy.

After our first leg was complete we sent van 2 on their runs. We didn't have long to rest; we found a place to eat lunch in Eden and took a short nap.

My next leg found me at 10:00 that same night. That run was incredible. It was pitch dark with just me, my head lamp and the road. (I was also decked out in glow sticks that my team decorated me with. I was a glowing gal making my way through the night) My van met me at mile 2 of this 4.9 miler and told me that my husband, Richard, called to check on me. It made me so happy I wanted to get emotional but figured that would take more energy than it was worth at the moment. I knew Richard was praying for me at that very second. I turned off my i-pod and prayed to God for the body he has given me and the energy he was providing me with to finish this leg. It was a cool night and the best run I had done yet.

Our van finished our second leg at 1:30 in the morning. Afterwhich, we drove to Summit High School in Coalville where they hosted dinner, hot showers and a place to sleep. By the time I had showered I was too tired to eat and found a spot to lay my sleeping bag and pillow down at 2:30. I wish I would have got a picture of this.... let me explain. They had us packed like sardines on the gym floor. It was dark and surprisingly extremely quiet. I felt like I had just survived a natural disaster and they had us quarantined at the nearest facility. There were bodies sleeping everywhere. In the gym, in the hallways, out on the lawn! It was crazy.

We managed to get a whole 2 hours of sleep and it was time to load the van and head out to our third and final leg. I didn't prepare as well for this leg and I now wish I could do this leg over. I would definitley do it different. I was afraid to eat anthing all morning before my leg because I didn't want to get a gut bomb and get sick. So the lack of energy from not having anything in my body wore me out. Knowing what I know now I would have rather got the gut bomb I was dreading. This was the road kill of all roadkills. I had to dodge 3 dead skunks and 1 snake. (I couldn't help but look at them when I ran by them, what the crap!! Like the smell wasn't bad enough) I barely finished the leg and even managed to sprint the last few strides! :)

Tony ran after me again and did awesome on his uphill climb. As we met up with him when he finished his run I looked over and we were looking over Jordanelle Resorvoir. It was completely breathtaking looking down into the valley. What an accomplishment to make it this far! Cory then took off down the other side of the mountain that Tony had just climbed and we met him right outside of Heber. Andy then finished his leg at an Elementary school in Heber. Here we met up with the Jacobsen Screaming Turtles and chit chatted for awhile. We realized we were all starving and drove into town and ate at Granny's. I got me lots of greasy food and every bite was just tasty as could be.

We drove to the final venue in Park City where I met up with Richard, got a massage and just chilled in the shade. We would meet our last runner here in the second van and at about 4:15 we saw her rounding the last corner. We were all pumped and even ran through the finish line with her.

4 comments:

Traciannee said...

You are awesome Jill, I am so proud of you for doing this. And what a great husband for calling to check on you. I know it was a added push of motivation knowing he was thinking, praying and cheering you on.

Stefanie said...

Jill, that is so awesome! I saw your post and looked into that race...it looks amazing and I really want to do it next year. Good work!

Tiffany Walker said...

Way to go Jill! You are amazing. I can't even imagine doing what you did. Congrats!

Camilla said...

Hooray for YOU and your team! That is wonderful!