Friday, September 10, 2010

So much to do

Monterey Bay

I thought I'd share some fun information about Monterey; The Fisher's place of residence for the next year.

Most famous in Monterey would be the Fishermans Wharf.  This is walking distance from downtown Monterey and our favorite place to hang out when we want to kill time.  Here you go if you want to try out Whale Watching, seeing the beached seals, and our favorite thing about the Wharf is the candy store and the Italian and Seafood Restaurant called Isabella's.

A mile down the coast from the Wharf is Cannery Row.  The bulk of it's shops are housed inside historic fomer sardine packing factories. so this serves as a reminder of the hard life depicted in John Steinbecks novel about the neighborhood.  Cannery Row's biggest attraction is the world famous Acquarium. 

Here they have giant displays of Jellyfish, Seahorses, underwater life, sharks, sting rays--
 (which I steered clear of)

West of Monterey lies the cozy city of Pacific Grove.  In November it becomes the city of the Butterflies as hundreds of thousands of Monarch butterflies migrate to.  If you want to stay in a quaint bed and breakfast, Pacific Grove is the place to go.   Pacific Grove is home of the cartoonist who created Dennis the Menace.  Monterey has a huge park Called Dennis the Menace Park in honor of him.  It's great for any kids.  My kids love it!


Carmel is just south of Pacific Grove.  Here is where Clint Eastwood was Mayor in 1986-1988.  I believe he still resides there but I'm not 100% sure.  Go to Carmel to visit the famous 17-mile drive that ends up in Pebble Beach; where incidently the US Open took place this year. (And Richard got to attend!)  Pebble beach is famous for the Lone Cypress Tree seen here... 

Carmel is also the home of one of the twins and her father in the original movie The Parent Trap, with Hailey Mills.  :)

About 20 miles north of Monterey is where a ton of farming is done.  Here is the garlic capitol of the world, Strawberry Capitol, and Artichoke Capitol of the world.  You can actually smell garlic when driving through Castroville. 

Salinas is the place in MOnterey County that you want to stay out of.  Gangs are really bad there.  Here is also the birthplace of John Steinbeck.  As I mentioned the author of Cannery Row.  Which I am trying to read right now, but just can't get into it. 

The weather here stays around 60-65 degrees with August-October being it's warmest months dipping up into the high 70's.  We live in Ford Ord, an army post, a short 15 minute drive from the DLI (defense language institute)  where Richard goes to work every day.   Savannah attends Marshall Elementary and Valerie goes to preschool with Seasides Recreation center.  I stay busy with my lovely change of pace from being a fulltime wife, mom, and working outside our home.  Now I get to just enjoy being a fulltime wife and mom... with another on the way!  :)


2 comments:

Ami Stokes said...

SOOOO gorgeous! How lucky for you & your family to have all that at your finger tips! Hey did you know that my day (good old Randy) grew up in Monterey, CA...at least his adolescent years, anyways his fist job was making gelato ice cream at an Italian spot near the Warf. To this day we cannot avoid that story when we eat gelato ice cream (or even regular ice cream for that matter) with my dad, he swears the best comes from there.:)

Traciannee said...

I love it, makes me want to pack up right now and move! Congratulations on the new little one coming! Miss you so much and sorry we didn't come visit, but Andy had everything planned down to the min. Love you friend and wish you the best!