Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Live United

Day of Caring is an event that brings together volunteer teams from local businesses and non-profit agencies in our community to serve 4-5 hour projects on Sept 10. My company, Jacobsen Construction, teamed with United Way and Turn Community Services to provide volunteers to help build a patio area at a Midvale Day Center for handicapped adults.

We dug out and leveled sand, and layed brick pavers. Our work turned out to be both aesthetic and practical as it created an outdoor area that the Turn Residents can enjoy, and allow for outside access from the building in case of fire or other emergency - particularly for those in wheelchairs. No prior experience in brick paving was necessary. The only requirement was a desire to make a difference!

I hold a special place in my heart for those with special needs and I always have; so what better way to get involved with helping those sweet spirits out. It turned out to be an AWESOME experience. The people there were so thankful and excited. I tried to recruit my husband due to his experience in the masonry business but once he found out we were doing pavers he opted out!  He said he couldn't hang if pavers were involved...(or something like that)   Here are some pics to show our progress and our final masterpiece.










Voila! Not a bad looking bunch at all; the pavers I mean.

2 comments:

Camilla said...

Great project, Jill! I hope your family is all doing well. I saw your dad the other day, I think you must have a neice or nephew in soccer, we were watching Melece's son play in a different field.=)

Julie Laycock said...

Way to pitch in and help!! Service is always a great feeling!