.jpg)
Memorial Day Traditions growing up consisted of going to the American Fork's Firemans breakfast to start the day off. Afterwards my family would drive out to the Fairfield and Draper Cemetaries.
At the Fairfield Cemetary we held the annual Boothill Marathon. There is a dirt road that surrounds the cemetary about 1/8 of a mile long if that. Let me explain how serious this was; we would pack our running shoes and dress for the occasion! My dad would referee and the family would run the race. The younger kids would always get the head starts and the older kids would anxiously wait for their que. Grandpa Dubois would hand out cash prizes or treats and he always gave the boobie prize to last place. I think Michelle had the boobie prize a few times (we have pics to prove it).
This year I ran the boothill with my mom and Savannah and Valerie. Before we left the house I told Savannah to pack her running shoes and even text mom to remind her. Savannah was the grand prize winner. Mom came in second and Valerie and I tied for third place! :) Mom got a head start with Valerie and I didn't believe my dad when he said, "look out for mom, she's going to drop Valerie off to you when you go to pass her."
As you can see in the picture my mom started with Valerie and I finished with her. My dad knows my mom too well I suppose.
Savannah won $5.00 for coming in first place. Despite the few showers we had it was a nice cool day great for racing!





Ever since I can remember we put flowers on George and Washinton Carson's graves. These men are related to me somehow through Grandpa Dubois' side of the family. They were brothers killed by Indians in 1865. We have lots of pictures of the family standing by their graves and I thought it was about time my kids get their pictures taken there.

After the festivities the girls and I went to Grandma and Grandpa Rigtrups house and played a game of kick ball and enjoyed their yard! Thanks mom and dad for a fun day with great memories.
12 years ago
4 comments:
I love your pictures! What great memories they bring back! Way to visit George and Washington. I've yet to place at Boothill so you're my inspiration. I'd better start training now:) I'm happy Savannah and Valerie got to experience the "Boothill Marathon." Love ya lots!
What a fun tradition. They are even more meaningful when you get to share them with your own kids!
I'm so happy someone still carries on the tradition. Memorial Day used to be one of my favorite Holidays growing up! And yes, I remember bringing the extra shoes! However, we did go to the fireman's breakfast, just at 9:45a.m. instead of 7:00a.m.!!
Your mom is hilarious! Loved the photos and what a great story :)
Post a Comment