Thursday, May 7, 2009

Sow... here's what we did.

I thought this day would never come. I always wanted a garden in Taylorsville and even managed to get 2 strawberries from a potted strawberry plant I once did; but our yard was too small and the dog would have destroyed it. But now that we have a little land we have put in our very own garden. Included we have spinach, peas, tomatoes, lettuce, strawberries, onions, pumpkins, corn, cantaloupe, and squash. I can't wait to see what comes out of it. I don't think the plants will grow too fast; if your huddled over it 24/7 and shading it--it's kindof hard for the sun to hit it.

We do need to replant the onions... apparantly we planted the bulbs upside down. And who knew you could water too much! Anyhow... It's quite the learning process. Everybody on our street has planted a pretty big garden and we go from yard to yard comparing and cheering each other on. It's quite a hoot actually. I took pictures the first day we brought in manure and fenced it... enjoy.

Oh, and also, Michael, your Barnes and Noble gift card you bought Richard for Christmas came in quite handy yesterday when I bought The Encyclopedia's Guide to Organic Gardening.


Bringing in the top fertilizer Grantsville has to offer and recruiting the kids help. Yes, those are indeed eggshells in the fertilizer; they supposedly assist with calcium and different nutrients being put in the soil.



Spreading the fertilizer and tilling it with the dirt.


Planting veggies and voila! There you have the Fisher Family Garden. Now if I could only get my chickens....

7 comments:

Julie Laycock said...

Wow your ambitious! I actually would love to have a garden also, if only Shane liked vegetables! Maybe one day I'll plant one for myself and some of my kids!

Traciannee said...

Great job with the garden. Sadly we are down to 2 chickens now. Not a good combination to have bird dogs and then get birds.
Andy will help Richard make a Chicken Tractor that you can move around your yard and they help fertilize it!(he also know a great place to get some hens or teen chickens too)

Jesse, Christa and Marshall said...

When Richard does something, he certainly goes all out. It looks great. I'm starting slowly with a few tomato plants this year. Feel free to send extra veggies our way.

Stacey said...

WOW!!!!! Look at that garden it looks so profesional so martha~stewartesque. I am so very impressed!!! we don't go that all out but we do go pretty far.This year we have put in our biggest garden ever..... complete with tomatoes, eggplant, squash, onions, pumpkins, peppers, corn and potatoes. I am so glad that I am not the only one who wants chickens, Justin absolutely refuses to let me have a few chickens... He is so wise!

Katie said...

Looks really good, Jill! I hope it all turns out well for you!

Tiffany Walker said...

That is awesome! I can't even fathom such a task. Way to take on a challenge. CONGRATS!

Camilla said...

It is beautiful. Congrats. I hope to have some garden sucess next year also.